Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A brave new mobile world in Behavioral Healthcare

After a ten year hiatus I have returned to clinical practice.  During my time away I ventured first into the world of behavioral healthcare clinical management and then (...wait for it...) Software Development.  I am told being a Therapist and a Software Developer is an odd pairing.  I suppose, that's true.  But, what I am sure of is that many of you therapists understand and embrace the power of technology.  You may not be able to write your own Android App in Java, or build a marketing solution in SQL Server, or create an e-commerce website with PHP/MySQL, but I bet you have a fancy-pants mobile phone, and you know how to use it (most of the time, anyway). 

Personally, I own an Android:  the Samsung Fascinate, distributed by Verizon.   I am not a rabid consumer of technology.  I do not need to have the latest and greatest device on the market. (My wife and I don't even own a television).  But, I go nowhere without my Fascinate.  I check the status of my world:  my wife's day, my writer's digest critique group, the score of the Red Sox game, and of course, Facebook.   I read my Amazon Kindle books on my brilliant WVGA Super AMOLED screen.  I write my Word documents on my ThinkFreeOnline app, and  upload them to my free storage on www.thinkfree.com. My Fascinate has taken over my day to day operations.

Now, tell me this: How many of your clients walk into session with a mobile phone in hand? Hold on, that's the wrong question.  How many of your clients DON'T walk into session with a mobile phone in hand?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  We live in a mobile device dominated world, brothers and sisters.  These little guys have burrowed their way into our lives.  They are not going away. 

So, here I am: back in practice.  This Tech Savvy Therapist has put the old empathy hat back on his head, and is braving the 50 minute hour once again.  How might I use my knowledge of technology to better help the souls who enter my office? This question is the reason I have entered  the Blogosphere.  So, come along with me, won't you?  I'll do some research, and report back each week.  There are some interesting and controversial topics to explore.  How does technology affect the client-therapist relationship? Does it de-humanize the process? What about email-therapy? Skype therapy? Avatar Therapy (...Yes, Avatar Therapy...I'll get back to you on that one.  I promise...).   Lots to discuss. But, for now let me end with this belief of mine: we as helping professionals can use technology to be more effective helpers.  Simple.  Are you with me?

4 comments:

  1. I am with you...join us at http://www.onlinetherapysocialnetwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to know I'm not alone. I've been a Television Engineer / IT Support Director for the last ten years and now I'm a Counselor in private practice. I am here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you DeeAnna, and Daniel. @DeeAnna: I clearly have much to learn from you, and look forward to doing so. @Daniel: you are not alone. There is a great deal of Art and Science in both Behavioral Healthcare and Information Technology. Humans are amazingly adaptable.

    ReplyDelete